The first two lawn tennis courts were installed at the Stamford Yacht Club in 1892, the same year that the horse-drawn railroad was constructed on Shippan Point. While these courts were lost in the fire of January 13, 1914, three courts were constructed in 1915, and in that same year, the Tennis Committee joined the American Lawn Tennis Association. As the Club's reputation as a fine tennis club grew, it attracted many Open Collegiate and Junior Tournaments, and such renowned athletes as Bill Tilden and Don Budge graced the courts in exhibition play. Today, the Stamford Yacht Club features six Har-Tru tennis courts, four of which are lit for night play. The Club is a member of the United States Tennis Association.