Tennis & Platform Tennis


The first two lawn tennis courts were installed at the Stamford Yacht Club in 1892, the same year that the horse-drawn railroad was constructed on Shippan Point. While these courts were lost in the fire of January 13, 1914, three courts were constructed in 1915, and in that same year, the Tennis Committee joined the American Lawn Tennis Association. As the Club's reputation as a fine tennis club grew, it attracted many Open Collegiate and Junior Tournaments, and such renowned athletes as Bill Tilden and Don Budge graced the courts in exhibition play. Today, the Stamford Yacht Club features six Har-Tru tennis courts, four of which are lit for night play. The Club is a member of the United States Tennis Association.

Platform Tennis

Paddle, or Platform Tennis, was born in the early 1930s at the Fox Meadow Club in Westchester County and enthusiasm quickly grew for the sport at the Stamford Yacht Club. Our original two courts, constructed of wood and wire where the lower parking lot is now located, had decayed badly by the late 1940s, and were torn down.

Popular support caused the wooden courts to be rebuilt north of the tennis courts in 1968, and lights were added in1969. These were later replaced by the modern metal courts our avid members now play on throughout the winter months.